Foreign and Commonwealth Office – Provision of European Union Training
Westminster Explained runs the Foreign and Commonwealth Office’s EU training for its staff based in the UK and UK missions overseas.
Westminster Explained provided an innovative, unique approach to the design and delivery of the programmes. We offer a combination of high quality policy training (Westminster Explained) and a Brussels office (Dods EU) which constantly monitors and analyses the latest EU developments. This enables us to keep our training up-to-date and relevant through contacts and information exchange within the organisation.
The programme has two strands:
1. London and Brussels-based EU Training
A five-day EU training course, London-based, with a one-day Brussels familiarisation visit.
2. EU training delivered in Regional Training Centres
A two-day EU training course delivered at FCO Regional training centres in Brussels, Prague and Copenhagen.
Highlights of the courses so far include a visit to the European Parliament in Brussels, training in the British Embassy in Prague and meeting with leading MEPs and officials.
DFID Pretoria, South Africa
Understanding Parliament, Government and the Civil Service trainings
Dods Training was commissioned to deliver a two-day course in Pretoria, South Africa. Working closely with training managers at home and abroad, Dods Training trainers delivered a bespoke course that focused on developing an in-depth understanding of the mechanisms of the UK Government, Parliament and Civil Service. We worked closely with the Department to ensure that the programme addressed the specific requirements of staff, whilst recognising the local culture and regional differences of the participants. On the day, participants attended not only from DfID South Africa, but also from neighbouring countries.
Eti-Osa Local Government, Lagos State, Nigeria
Good governance and effective policy making training
The Eti-Osa Local Government in Nigeria contacted the International Unit at Dods Training in search of a tailored course on good governance and policy-making. A delegation from the state assembly of Eti-Osa attended a week-long training programme held at our Head Office in London. The event was chaired by a former Government Minister. The programme incorporated trips and visits of interest, with hands-on learning and guest speaker sessions from leading figures. The training was well received and they have since approached us for further training.
Shanghai Municipality, People’s Republic of China
Parliamentary Administration Training and Anti-Corruption and ethics within Government
In 2012, Westminster Explained was approached to host a delegation of government officials from the Shanghai Municipality. The focus of the 3 day programme was a blend of understanding the Westminster Parliamentary system and identifying corruption in the public sector.
As well as the Chief Executive of the Society of Procurement Officers, we also had a leading Conservative MP and a senior member of the media present to the delegation.
To find our more, please contact Dean Sowman on 0207 593 5752 or email email@example.com
- Call us now on 0207 593 5550.
- Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Political Awareness and Influencing Workshop (18th June)
- CV writing and interview skills (18th June)
- Brussels Explained - An Overview of the European Union (19th June)
- An Overview of the Legislative Process (19th June)
- Speed Reading (19th June)
- Taking Control of Your Time (20th June)
- Summarising Documents Quickly and Accurately (20th June)
- Understanding UK Policy Making (20th June)
- Lobbying the European Union Access and Influence (1st July)
- Thinking on the Spot Techniques (1st July 2013)
- Essential Writing Skills (2nd July)
- Taking Effective Minutes (2nd July)
- Strategic Thinking Skills (2nd July)
- Advanced Writing Skills (3rd July)
- Putting Your Point Across (3rd July)
- Selling Yourself, Your Project and Your Ideas (3rd July)
- Law and the Legal Framework of the UK (4th July)
- Working With and Understanding Local Government (4th July)
- Generating New Ideas (4th July)
- Policy and Law Bills, Regulations and Statutory Interpretation (8th July)
- Line Management (8th July)
- The Law of Judicial Review the Government in Court (10th July)
- Winning People Over (10th July)
- The Influential Communicator (10th July)